Monday, December 7, 2015

Arts & Crafts: Sea Glass Wreath

I thought I would check out one of the classes offered at the Arts & Craft Center.  There were many to choose from, however, making a sea glass wreath caught my eye.  I've wanted to see sea glass in person.  Plus with it being the holidays, I figured another wreath around the house couldn't hurt!  The facility and staff were extremely nice.  They also sell arts and crafts material; very nice to know I can get some staple items without ordering in.  Now I wouldn't compare it to a Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, etc. but it'll work. 

The instructor was very accommodating, especially with my lack of knowledge regarding wreath decorating and with sea glass.  She collected the sea glass herself with a local friend at various beaches around the island.  There was a good selection of green, brown, and white pieces.  A few light blue pieces were also available; these were my favorite!  She gave me a basic knowledge of what was unique in a sea glass piece.  Now I know when I go sea glass hunting myself.

What exactly is sea glass?   Sea glass is physically and chemically weathered glass found on  beaches along bodies of salt water. These weathering processes produce natural frosted glass.  The best pieces have no clearness to them!

You will see circle colorful pieces on the wreath; these are not sea glass.  They are part of a local game that is played, similar to marbles.

The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment